Tiger nuts have lots of health benefits which millions of people are ignorant of up till date. Apart from protection from cardiovascular diseases, there so many additional benefits you can derive from these nuts. Some people still don’t know what tiger nut is and that takes us to the next topic…
What Are Tiger Nuts?
Tiger nut is the small dried edible tuber of a kind of sedge (a grass-like plant with triangular stems and inconspicuous flowers, growing typically in wet ground). So, you can see that Tiger nuts aren’t really nuts but tubers that grow under the soil’s surface. Tiger nut is also known as yellow nutsedge, tiger nutsedge or earth almond.
Health Benefits of Tiger Nuts
1. Rich In Fiber: Tiger Nuts are highly rich in fiber. According to a study conducted by the University of Miguel Hernandez, Orihuela, Spain, tiger nuts contains large amounts of dietary fiber way above that of apple, rice bran, oats, , cabbage, carrots, pears, etc.
2.Digetion: Promotion of digestion is one of the health benefits of tiger nuts since it is rich in fiber. Traditionally, tiger nuts were used to treat stomach upsets, irritable bowels, and other digestive issues. They have been used in folk medicine as a remedy for many ailments, including flatulence and diarrhea.
Read Also: 6 Natural Tips To Quickly Lose Belly Fat
3. Healthy Substitute For Lactose Intolerance: Patients suffering from lactose intolerance can take tiger nuts and tiger nuts milk as a substitute for cow’s milk. This is because tiger nut milk does not contain lactose. Asides vitamins, minerals, fat and oil, tiger nut milk is also rich in calcium for bone growth and development especially in children.
4. Rich In Vitamins and Minerals: Tiger nuts are enriched with natural vitamins (mostly vitamin C and E) and minerals (mainly calcium, potassium, magnesium and phosphorus). Magnesium is required by the body to carry out over 300 biochemical reactions which enhances nerve and muscle function, regulates sugar, maintains blood pressure levels, strengthen bones, process proteins and keep you healthy. Potassium is essential to maintain proper regulation of muscle contraction, digestive functions and to control the blood pressure levels. In fact, Some Yogurts are now mixed with tiger nut milk to enhance their nutritive values.
5. Rich In Proteins and Amino acids: Protein is the building blocks of the body. Tiger nuts are one of the richest sources of non-meat protein and amino acids like arginine. Arginine plays a role in the maintenance of the integrity of blood vessels by repairing clogged arteries, promoting blood flow, protecting against chest pain, erectile dysfunction, heart disease or failure, artery diseases, muscle cramps, and headaches.
Read: 5 Causes of Acne You Can Avoid
6. Protects Against Cardiovascular Disease: Since tiger nuts are rich in vitamin E, which acts as a catchall reference for different fat-soluble compounds that are rich in antioxidant, all these qualities are present in tiger nut milk and tiger nut flour. Antioxidants protect the cardiovascular system (heat and blood vessels) against diseases.
7. Cures Erectile Dysfunction: This is yet another major health benefit of tiger nuts. Tiger nuts have been implicated to be indirectly beneficial in improving erectile dysfunction (ED). Although there is no medical evidence to support this claim, natives of Ghana have been using this traditional medicine for decades in the form of palliative for treating ED.
8. Controls Diabetes: Tiger nuts contains high insoluble dietary fiber which regulates blood sugar levels and helps the diabetic patients remain healthy. Tiger nut milk also is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs) which is a very good anti-diabetic agent, as MUFA diets boost glycemic tolerance.
9. No Inflammatory Reaction: Tiger nut milk is safer to consume than other nut-based milks because it lacks omega-6 fatty acids, which can cause inflammatory reactions when combined in high amounts with omega-3 fatty acids.
10. Promotes HDL Cholesterol: Tiger nuts contain a fair amount of oleic acid which is a MUFA (monounsaturated fatty acid) that helps increase your body’s HDL cholesterol.
How Can I Make Tiger Nut Milk?
Now that you know what Tiger nut milk is and what benefits it offers, let’s take a look at how to make this amazingly delicious and supremely healthy milk.
Ingredients: One cup of tiger nuts (soaked for 24-48 hours), a glass of water, strainer, cardamom/Cinnamon, jaggery or honey.
- Soak the tiger nuts in a bowl of water and cover the bowl with a cloth and allow it to stand for around 1-2 days.
- Remove the cloth and add the nuts to a blender.
- Add the spices and the sweetener of your choice to the blender.
- Blend the nuts well until the mixture becomes thick and smooth.
- Now using a strainer, strain the tiger nut milk into a serving glass.
- Your tiger nut milk is ready to drink.
The health benefits of tiger nuts are much more than we think and I believe some benefits are yet to be discovered. Tiger nuts are small but complete food that should be consumed virtually every day to ensure a healthy life.
Ochemba Callistus Chinedu is currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Medical Laboratory science and hopes to become a Medical Lab Scientist. He enjoys reading, writing, traveling, general health, and learning new things.