Using zobo drink for weight loss is another important health benefits of this dark drink. Through restricting the food you eat, you can try to control your weight. It’s not just the food you eat which causes weight gain, but if you want to lose weight, you have to watch what you drink. While we agree that fruit juices and energy drinks are safe, many of them have added sugars and other ingredients that can impact your weight loss plan badly.
Furthermore, if you want to reduce your body weight, you need to consume drinks that are calorie-free and that will boost your body metabolism.
Zobo drink in Nigeria is a very popular drink. The name is derived from the name of the parent plant called Zoborodo (in the Hausa language) while Hibiscus sabdariffa is the scientific name of zobo.
Typically, the Zobo drink is taken chilled. When cold, it tastes so much better. It’s a very healthy drink with lots of great advantages. Many Nigerians make a decent living just by selling Zobo drink, especially the women in market areas and university environments.
Zobo Drink For Weight Loss
Many people often talk about using the zobo drink for weight loss. If you’re fat or obese and want to lose weight, Zobo drink is for you but know what kind of Zobo we’re talking about here. Artificial sweeteners and sugar are not in the sweetened ones. We’re talking about the simple drink of the raw zobo. The effectiveness of zobo drink for weight loss is backed up by scientific findings.
Another research also pointed out the effectiveness of zobo drink for weight loss. Based on the research, fat metabolism was found to increase on the administration of hibiscus extracts resulting in weight reduction.
How Does Zobo Drink For Weight Loss Work?
The mechanism behind the action of zobo drink for weight loss is very easy to understand as follows:
- Zobo helps manage your appetite efficiently and lets you remain full for longer to avoid eating too much food. By having little appetite for food, you will eat less and lose some weight. So, if you’re looking to lose some weight, drink zobo drink whenever you feel hungry. By doing this, you will cut down your meals from 3 square meals to 2 square meals a day.
- Zobo drink contains many antioxidants that increase a person’s body metabolism and overall health. These antioxidants also help protect the body from free radicals, thus strengthening the immune system of the body. Antioxidants also helps prevent cancer.
- Another way in which zobo drink for weight loss acts is by its diuretic ability, which helps to excrete excess fluid from the body. This gets rid of your body’s excess water and avoids excessive bloating. Hence, zobo drink can be used to maintain a flat tummy.
- Zobo drink has various nutrients, such as iron and carotene, needed to accelerate metabolism. Nutrients work to keep the intestinal microflora healthy and maintain life.
- Zobo drink can inhibit carbohydrate absorption, which ultimately avoids excess body weight gain. This drink contains phaseolamin, an enzyme inhibitor. Phaseolamin prevents amylase (an enzyme) from being produced which is needed to break down complex carbohydrates and thereby reduces absorbed carbohydrates in the body.
Zobo Drink Nutritional Information
A study conducted by the American food engineering journal found that dark red Zobo drink has vitamin C as its highest percentage component followed at 4 p.p.m by calcium and some ash content.
Read Also: 13 Zobo Drink Health Benefits You Must Know
There is also magnesium, sodium, potassium and iron in the zobo. Zobo’s drink pH is also pretty high. Which means which Zobo is actually very acidic with pH ranging from 2.5 to 2.7 regardless of the colour of the beverage. Zobo can be seen to contain a high proportion of minerals and vitamin C. The nutrients it contains, such as magnesium and sodium, help to build strong bones in children.
As you can see, there are useful properties to this drink. However, It has some contraindications like any useful product. Drink it mildly and you’ll get excellent health benefits and a slimmer body weight/figure.
It is inappropriate for pregnant women to consume this drink. Zobo can boost blood-groove and cause periods of abortion. Less of it should be taken by breastfeeding women as it can endanger mother and child. Although this claim is still disputed by some researchers, it is better to be on the safer side.
Even, you shouldn’t continuously drink Zobo too much as excessive drinking can have a negative effect on the kidneys.